Red velvet cake is much more than vanilla cake tinted red. This recipe produces the best red velvet cake with superior buttery, vanilla, and cocoa flavors, as well as a delicious tang from buttermilk. It’s the sweet marriage of buttermilk and vanilla with a little cocoa for good measure.
It's super soft & velvety.
- Flour – 150 gms
- Baking powder – 1 tsp
- Salt – a pinch
- Baking soda – 1tsp
- Cocoa powder – 2 tbsp
- Butter – 200 gms
- Sugar – 150 gms
- Milk – 1/4 cup
- buttermilk – 125 gms
- Red gel food colour – 1 tsp
- Vanilla extract – 1 tsp
- Vinegar - 1tsp
- In a bowl sieve together flour, baking powder, salt, baking soda, cocoa powder together.
- In a separate bowl mix soft butter and sugar and whisk them till the time butter becomes light and fluffy.
- Continue whisking and gradually add the milk followed by buttermilk, gel red food colour, vinegar and vanilla extract.
- Now gently fold the flour into butter mixture & make a thick batter.
- Line a 6”wide & 3” deep round mould with butter paper on the bottom and sides. Pour the mixture into the mould.
- Bake it in a pre-heated oven at 180c for 35-40 mins.
- Once done remove and take it out on a wire rack to completely cool it.
Snap a photo for Instagram, mix the layers together, and drink up!! (Don't forget to tag us @mixeurin)
Blog by Shrey Uttarwar (Follow him on Instagram - @ferb_2122)